Mastering Professional Scrum 1/7
The mastery comes from practice. Thus practice is king.
The world becomes more complex. And while the only certainty is uncertainty.
In this world it is vital to proper use the new technologies. And apply professional the scrum framework.
This book is all about the above.
Let’s get started.
Ch01 Continuously Improving Your Scrum Practice
Any team needs identity. To establishing it is about answering:
- Why do we exist? (Purpose)
- What is important to us? (Values)
- What do we want? (Vision)
Any team has a process which includes practices, tools and ways of working together like:
- Engineering practices and tools
- Quality practices and tools
- Product management practices and tools
- Product Backlog management practices and tools
- Effective use of Scrum events and artifacts
- Effective communication and collaboration
- Identification and removal of sources of waste
- Identification and removal of impediments
- Effective use and growth of team knowledge, skills, and capabilities
The SCRUM team, depending on the kind of product they develop, need different capabilities or skills:
- Teaching – instructing others in an effort to give them new knowledge and skills.
- Facilitation – guiding groups by using a neutral perspective to help them come to their own solutions and make decisions. Also help team members guide their own informal conversations and working sessions with each other to be more focused.
- Coaching – enhances a person’s ability to learn, make changes, and achieve desired goals. It is a thought-provoking and creative process that enables people to make conscious decisions and empowers them to become leaders in their own lives. https://coactive.com
With advising, the client is not learning and discovering based on her own experiences and desires but of advisers’.
With consulting, typically involves doing the work and advising how to do the work.
- Technical excellence
- Servant leadership – The Scrum Master’s success is determined by the success of his or her Scrum Team. Scrum Master helps everyone grow their capabilities, effectively navigate limitations and challenges, and embrace empiricism to deliver, on a frequent cadence, valuable products in a complex and unpredictable world.
While the Scrum Master help the team get to the next level, the Product Owner may teach Development Teams about the
- Product market
- Customer needs
- Business value
The way you start improving anything complex is to ask yourself three questions:
- What hurts the most? – You cannot fix everything at once. And spreading yourself across too many things also makes it difficult to measure the impacts of each change or to know which changes are having the desired impacts.
- What are small experiments we can run that will deliver the most value?
For Root Cause Analysis use the 5 Whys Technique